In our years of being open I have met many talented stylists and colorists. For a project this big I decided to have my hair professionally done. For the cost and bother, it was well worth it to me. Plus it turned out fantastic!
My colorist recommended 3 different shades of orange for a multi-dimensional look. She custom mixed Pravana colors and used clear, neon orange, orange, and red to get the different tones. The process was a little more involved and took 3 hours to complete.
We had to strip my natural brown, to a lighter shade that would become the bright orange. I am not used to being blonde! (Please excuse the no makeup/ bad lighting face.) Olaplex was used in with the lightening process with a treatment to reattach any broken bonds in the hair. In the end the color was very bright.
TIPS to Keep Your Fantasy Hair Color Happy
Here are a few tips my stylist recommended to keep my hair healthy and bright.
- Only wash you hair 1-2 times a week if you can. More than that will make the color fade.
- Avoid shampoos with sulfates in them. Better quality shampoos will say right on the label that they are "sulfate free".
- Wash your hair in cool or lukewarm water.
- Add color to your conditioner or just buy oVertone Brand Conditioner. I use their Extreme Orange and I love it. (Available here: http://overtone.co). It keeps my color very vibrant.
- Bandanas and hair flowers will become your best friends because they can hide your roots until you can get them touched up! Cats Like Us has a nice selection. Wink wink. (Check out our selection here: http://catslikeus.com/collections/accessories-hair-doo-dads)
Things strangers do/ say when your hair is orange.…
I forget that my hair is bright orange until someone either stares or wants to start a conversation about it. I imagine this is what it's like when you have visible tattoos. I don't mind conversing, except when people want to tell me their life story and I'm sitting by myself in a restaurant eating a taco (true story).
Everyone wants to touch your hair.
FYI--It just feels like hair, nothing special!
Ask, "Is your hair a wig?"
I've been asked if it's a wig. This may have to do with my hairstyle. It's a bob with bangs, a popular Halloween wig shape. I'm actually flattered if someone says that because it means my color is still bright and shiny.
Ask "Is the color from a spray can?"
This is similar to ,"Is your hair a wig?"... Yep, someone has asked me this.
Ask "Is it left over from Halloween?"
Actually no. I dyed my hair AFTER Halloween because I'm a weirdo like that. Plus I just really like orange.
Say "You look like that chick from the Fifth Element movie!"
Since my hair is orange I was mentally preparing myself for a barrage of "You look like that chick from the Fifth Element" (Milla Jovovich), but surprisingly I only received one of those comments.
I always said I wouldn't do this, but I did--Changing the colors you primarily wear to go with your hair color--I was always more of a red / orange girl, now I'm a blue / green girl.
I'm very happy with my fantasy hair color even though it's a little higher maintenance than I'm used too. I hope to keep the orange for a while.
If you are ever in the Western New York area I highly recommend Lauren Ashley at The Atomic Barbershop and Salon for color - and they are just down the street from Cats Like Us! She started out as a customer of mine, then a friend, and now my hair stylist!