Find your size & how we measure
Every measurement that appears on the website is measured by us. Every reasonable effort to be accurate and consistent has been made when measuring garments for our web store. Please read the size charts carefully, as the different styles and brands of vintage and retro clothing vary widely! If in doubt, please contact us and we would be happy to advise on sizing. We want you to be happy with your purchase!!
Measure your garment, NOT ON YOURSELF
WE MEASURE ALL GARMENTS LYING FLAT and list the MAXIMUM measurement. This may be slightly different than your measurements taken by measuring yourself with a tape. To find your measurements, the best thing you can do is to measure a garment that fits you well.
- Lay your garment flat on a table
- Take a measuring tape, tape measure or yardstick and carefully measure all the areas as indicated in the illustration, then double the measurement
- Take note of all your measurements and keep that for future reference
So for example: Lay a dress that fits you well flat and measure the waist. If the distance is 16 inches, then the waist measurement is 32 inches.
When shopping on Cats Like Us, most garments will have a chart of measurements below their description. Match your measurements to the largest garment measurement that matches yours to ensure a good fit.
You can read our blog articles on the subject here
- Label size of garment. Ex. "Small", "Medium" and "Large".
- Shoulder measurement across the top of the garment from shoulder seam to shoulder seam.
- Sleeve Length from shoulder seam to cuff.
- Measured across the front, from armpit to armpit, then doubled.
- Pants & Skirts: Measured across the top then doubled.
- Shirts & dresses: Measures 6-8 inches below the armpit then doubled. This is naturally the thinnest part of your body.
- Measured about 5-8 inches below the natural waist.
- Collar to Hem
- Measured down the back, from back collar to hem.
- Waist to hem
- Measurement from natural waist to hem.